Click on the link here for Audio Player – Janis Joplin and The Kozmic Blues Band – Live at The Concertgebouw – April 11, 1969 – VPRO
Hard, if not impossible to imagine it’s been 43 years since Janis Joplin left the scene. October 4th, 1970, Janis Joplin was found dead in her room at the Landmark Hotel in Hollywood of an overdose. The news came as a shock, and the world was robbed of one more iconic artist, gone way-way too soon.
So as a way of tribute, here is a concert she did during her tumultuous European tour of 1969 with her new group The Kozmic Blues Band, performing live at The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam on April 11, 1969 and recorded by the Netherlands radio outlet VPRO.
Much of the European concert tour was filmed and has been shown at various times. It’s not known if film of this particular concert exists, but it was broadcast complete on radio.
Whatever faults the press had with the band (and there were a lot at the time), the universal opinion was the overwhelming voice of Janis Joplin and the pure artistry that emanated from her.
No one has come along to eclipse that. Perhaps no one ever will.
Janis Joplin was clearly one of a kind.
- Janis Joplin talks about rejection four days before she died in 1970 (rave2.wordpress.com)
- 8 Classic Janis Joplin Concert Clips (wzlx.cbslocal.com)
- Photos: Today In History: Janis Joplin Found Dead (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Full Show Friday | Remembering Janis Joplin (jambase.com)
- Janis Joplin Death Anniversary: Legendary Singer Died 43 Years Ago Today (huffingtonpost.com)
- Esquire:Janis Joplin’s Fascinating Last Interview (esquire.com)