Click on the link here for Audio Player: News of the Day – August 8, 1974 – Gordon Skene Sound Collection
Thirty-nine years ago today, the Great National Nightmare, as Gerald Ford put it, was over.
After months of investigations, hearings and discoveries, the end of the Nixon era had finally come to pass. Speculation had been rife for days over whether or not President Nixon would resign or fight the charges up to the end. But the evidence was overwhelming and, after a day filled with assertions and denials, Press Secretary Ron Ziegler announced that Nixon would go before the American people at 9:00 pm EDT from the Oval Office to announce his decision.
But up to that point it had been speculation. So here is a wrapup of that day, starting with early newscasts regarding a meeting that morning with key Cabinet members and news of the day from ABC, NBC and CBS News all the way to Nixon’s Resignation address.
It was, if you happen to be around at the time, and recall the day, something of a nail-biter.
Here’s a reminder as it happened on August 8, 1974.
- Nixon Jokes With ‘Dirty Tricks’ Men on White House Video – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Nixon’s Resignation & the Era of Lawless Presidencies (antiwar.com)
- August 8th (adayinhistoryblog.wordpress.com)
- The Nixon Scandal Template (oyiabrown.com)
- How Richard Nixon Fooled Friends and Influenced People (theatlantic.com)