Click on the link here for Audio Player: [audio https://pastdaily.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/news-for-april-29-1986.mp3]
April 29, 1986 was a day the true nature of how disastrous it was wouldn’t be known for weeks and months later. On this April 29th, amid vehement denials to the contrary, one of the worst Nuclear Power Plant disasters occurred in the Ukraine region of Russia.
Initially reported as a “minor accident” with only two plant personnel killed, alarming levels of radiation were being recorded all over Europe, with the epicenter of the leaks coming from the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.
With Radio Moscow sticking to their initial report of 2 deaths, other sources were revising the figure upwards to at least 2,000, with just how widespread nuclear contamination was, completely unknown at the time.
- World Marks 27 Years Since Chernobyl Disaster (novinite.com)
- Ukrainians mark 27th anniversary of Chernobyl nuclear disaster (euronews.com)
- Ukraine to cover collapsed Chernobyl roof with special resin (nzweek.com)
- Ukraine remembers Chernobyl (euronews.com)
- Photos: On this Day – April 26,1986 – the world’s worst nuclear disaster – Chernobyl (photos.denverpost.com)
- Photos: On this Day – April 26,1986 – the world’s worst nuclear disaster – Chernobyl (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Chernobyl today (ishaqam.wordpress.com)
- 27th anniversary of Chernobyl disaster marked in Ukraine (news.xinhuanet.com)
- Chernobyl: The Aftermath of Wormwood by Dawn Adams (rawbaexhibition.wordpress.com)
- Chernobyl: Eerie monochrome pictures capture the desolation of exclusion zone around abandoned nuclear plant (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)