Click on the link here for Audio Player: otisredding1966-10-04
I forgot how turbo-charged Redding was in performance. This concert (actually two half-hour sets with an intermission in between) rocks almost continuously for over an hour.
It’s a tribute to the talent and raw energy this man had, and just what it sounds like for an artist to throw themselves into their work.
Redding was an astonishing performer, above his remarkable gift as an artist and writer. He really was an institution.
And here is an hour’s worth of why.
The sound is a bit rough, but hopefully it’s been smoothed out from some magical surgery I spent a few hours performing. It’s a frantic 71 minutes though.
Enjoy the show.
- On This Day In 1967, Otis Redding Dies In Plane Crash (rememberinghistory.wordpress.com)
- Saunders: Remembering the power (and pain) in Otis Redding’s voice (newsobserver.com)
- Writers, Artists, Musicians: Where Would We Be If Our Loneliness Left Us Alone? (lindathorlakson.wordpress.com)
- finding soul (superflat.typepad.com)
- 10 Best Soul Singers (mademan.com)