Click on the link here for Audio Player: ChickenShack1968ChrsitinePerfectMcVieBBC
Since hearing the rumors of a Fleetwood Mac reunion featuring Christine McVie (rumors that have since been quashed. . .too bad), I went digging into the archive for recordings of the band she was in before she landed the now-famous (or infamous)gig.
Chicken Shack had a big following in the UK and throughout Europe in the mid-late 60s, and they had often toured with the original members of Fleetwood Mac, when they were known as Peter Green‘s Fleetwood Mac.
And it made perfect sense – both Chicken Shack and Fleetwood Mac were label mates, both recording for the independent and forward thinking Blue Horizon Records during this period. Fleetwood Mac managed to click in the U.S., with a string of hits before the transformation took place. Chicken Shack, not so much. Although they were highly regarded by the Press and musicians alike, they failed to make a dent in the U.S. market, which was a shame.
As far as I know, this is the only live session featuring Chicken Shack with Christine Perfect in the lineup. She would leave the band by 1969 and go solo before teaming up with Fleetwood Mac and writing that particular chapter in music history.
Tonight it’s a short session – two numbers; Love Me Or Leave Me and Mean Old World, which also features Blue Horizon label mate, Duster Bennett – another sadly overlooked figure whose tragic early death robbed the music world of a lot of possibilities.
FYI – they recorded a few albums during this period and I think they are still available via imports. Check them out if you get a chance.
For now, it’s the session from 1968.
- For rock legends Fleetwood Mac‚ it’s ’til death do us part (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Christine McVie’s Return To Fleetwood Mac Remains Unlikely (noise11.com)
- Christine McVie ‘Is Done’ With Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks Says (spinner.com)
- Christine McVie will never rejoin Fleetwood Mac, says Stevie Nicks (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Christine McVie will never rejoin Fleetwood Mac, she’s done, says Stevie Nicks (metro.co.uk)
- Lindsey Buckingham On Christine McVie: “She Didn’t Have To Burn As Many Bridges As She Did” (wzlx.cbslocal.com)