Click on the link here for Audio Player: News for December 6, 1960
News for this day in 1960 was decided more upbeat domestically than it was internationally.
At home, President-elect John F.Kennedy paid a visit to the White House and President Eisenhower to discuss the transition from one administration to the next.
Other news was more somber. The deposed Prime Minister of the Congo, Patrice Lumumba was under arrest, signaling more uncertainty in the newly independent African nation, and most definitely more uncertainty over the fate of Lumumba. Appeals from the UN for humane treatment of the former Prime Minister were largely ignored by the rebel forces and the outlook was not hopeful.
That, and a lot of other news, including a Special Report on the Ike/JFK meeting, from NBC News On The Hour for December 6, 1960.
Phillippe Cassard – undertaking the entire solo Piano output of Debussy.
Click on the link here for Audio Player – Part 1:Cassard – Debussy Recital – Part 1
Click on the link here for Audio Player – Part 2: Cassard – Debussy Recital – Part 2
Over to Paris this week for one day of a multi-day recital of the complete solo Piano music of Claude Debussy, as well as music by other composers who inspired Debussy, performed by Pianist Phillippe Cassard.
A pretty Herculean task, if you ask me. The whole recital was recorded in October in Paris. This concert was recorded by the venerable Radio France Musique on October 21st. Coming in at almost 2 hours, I’ve broken it up between two players. Here’s what you’ll be hearing:
1. Images oubliées (1894) 1- Lent (mélancolique et doux) N°1 2- Souvenir du Louvre N°2 3- Quelques aspects de « Nous n’irons plus au bois » parce qu’il fait un temps insupportable N°3
2. Frédéric Chopin: Berceuse en ré bémol majeur Op.57 (1844) – Claude Debussy: Images Livre I L 110 (1901, 1905) 1- Reflets dans l’eau 2- Homamge à Rameau 3- Mouvement
3. Estampes 1- Pagodes 2- La soirée dans Grenade 3- Jardins sous la pluie
4.3 pièces (1904) 1- Masques 2- D’un cahier d’esquisses 3- L’Isle joyeuse L 106
5. Children’s Corner L 113 (1906, 1908) 1- Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum 2- Jimbo’s Lullaby 3- Serenade for the doll 4- The snow is dancing 5- The little shepherd 6- Golliwogg’s cake-walk
6. Morceau de concours L 108 (1903, 1904) Le petit nègre L 114 (1909) Hommage à Haydn L 115 (1909)
7. Images, Livre II L 111 (1907) 1- Cloches à travers les feuilles 2- Et la lune descend sur le temple qui fut 3- Poissons d’or
Philippe Cassard, piano Concert donné le 21 octobre 2012, Salle Gavea.
It’s safe to say this concert hands-down qualifies as an Anti-Road Rage Special.