Click on the link here for Audio Player: SonnyRollinsTrio1965-10MunichGermany
The legendary Sonny Rollins this weekend, with a concert recorded in Munich by German Radio in October of 1965. From what I gather, this concert has been recently issued commercially, so it may be nothing particularly new to Sonny Rollins fans and collectors. But if you’re just getting into Jazz, and have only heard about Sonny Rollins, this is a great concert from his experimental 1960’s period. He’s joined by bassist Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen and drummer Alan Dawson.
Here’s what’s on the player:
Sonny Rollins Trio
Munich – October 1965
Memorable concert and vintage Sonny Rollins.
Can’t ask for better on a Sunday afternoon.
- Sonny Rollins, London Jazz Festival, Barbican, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sonny Rollins’ London Jazz Festival Performance Shows the Old Lion Still Has Some Roar (atlantablackstar.com)
- Sonny Rollins, Barbican Hall, EC2 – review (standard.co.uk)
- Sonny Rollins/Egberto Gismonti – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Sonny (tostandandstare.wordpress.com)
- Sonny Rollins Trio: Live in Europe 1959 – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Ten Jazz Albums to Hear Before You Die (blogs.villagevoice.com)
- Pete La Roca, Top Post-Bop Jazz Drummer, Has Died (npr.org)
- The Simpsons Exclusive: Saxophonist Sonny Rollins Gets Tupac Treatment (tvline.com)